The Old Vic, one of the greatest London theatres, was built by Cabanel in 1818 (as the Royal Coburg Theatre) and frequently altered since. By 1982 it was a shadow of its former self.
The brief for its restoration called for it to become the most elegant, attractive and comfortable theatre in central London. With Sir Lawrence Olivier as advisor, it was agreed that the auditorium should revert to its 1871 format, the date of J.T. Robinson's proscenium zone.
Besides meticulous restoration work, we also remodelled the façade in the 1818 style using existing walls and openings and put back the columned canopy, now in cast iron and steel instead of timber.
RIBA Award 1986, commendation
Civic Trust Award 1985
The Old Vic
Waterloo Rd, London, UK
£2.1m | October 1983
photo: Martin Charles